Monday, September 14, 2009

Low Carb Lemon & Sage Ice Cream (Egg Free)



I was about to give this recipe to Nicky in the comments section and thought I should add here in case anyone else in interested, this recipe does not require an ice cream maker.

This is a recipe I posted on the forum a couple of weeks ago, it is quite yum and I found it got better each time I had it. I also made a choc chip version using lindt and just replaced the lemon juice with a dash of milk just incase I needed it for consistency. This turned out good also and everyone loved it but I found the bits of frozen lindt left an aftertaste at the end. Next time I might try just a choccy ice cream. If anyone has a play please share: Low Carb Lemon & Sage Ice Cream (Egg Free)




Low Carb Lemon & Sage Ice Cream (Egg Free)


500ml Cream
Juice and rind from 1 lemon
2/3 cup sweetener (I used 1/2 xylitol and 16 splenda tablets ground finely)
1 tsp sage leaves, chopped finely (I used 4 leaves)

Place cream, lemon rind and sage in heavy based saucepan and slowly bring to boil, allow to cool and infuse flavours.

Whisk the lemon juice and sweetener with a tablespoon of the hot cream until sweetener is dissolved. Add cream mixture and whisk really well. Cover and chuck in freezer for 1 hour.

Remove from freezer and give ice cream a really good whisk and return to freezer for 2 hours. Remove from freezer and give it another really good whisk then place in a freezing container with airtight lid (I just used one of those pyrex dishes with silicone lid), seal and put back in freezer until firm.

13 comments:

Nicky said...

OO! Looks divine! Thanks, Sherrie - I have some cream infusing as I write :D

Sherrie said...

Enjoy :)

Chrish Tiyan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
birgittahoglundsmat said...

Hi Sherrie. This icecrream looks delicious. I will try it for my birhtday, because I have an egg allergic in the near family.
Thanks a lot ;)
Greetings from Sweden./ Birgitta

Sherrie said...

I hope you like it! :)

birgittahoglundsmat said...

Hi again, Sherrie. I just found this article http://www.thelocal.se/22278/20090924/
about Low Carb High Fat in Sweden.

It’s a lot of debate going on in Sweden right now, about the official recommendations about how we should eat. The government recommend 50-60% carbohydrates per day. Thats a lot of carbs.. Greetings from Sweden./ Birgitta

Sherrie said...

Thanks for that Birgitta :)

Chrish Tiyan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chrish Tiyan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
abc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
美好 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
birgittahoglundsmat said...

Hi, Sherrie. Hope everything is fine down there in Australia.
Here the winter is getting darker and darker. But Christmas is soon here with all the lights and festivites.

I send You some pictures from a big Christmas market I visited this Weekend. So You can see all the great food our local farmers produce.

Merry Christmas from Sweden./ Birgitta
http://birgittahoglundsmat.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/julmarknad-pa-jamtli/
You can use The Google Translation Tool so that my Swedish will become more understandable

Sherrie said...

Thanks for sharing Birgitta, hope you have a lovely Christmas :)