Monday, August 10, 2009

Low Carb Lemon Curd





Hey there :)

Sorry for being so slack, I never know what to post as I feel I am just repeating things that I post on the forum. I guess there's quite a few that check here that wouldn't otherwise check on the forum, whom might benefit from a recipe or a post here that they may otherwise not see.

Anyway I love lemons, I use them a lot in savoury cooking, but am just starting to use them in sweet foods as well. I have a lemon ice cream recipe that I am hoping to convert during the week. Recently, I made a lemon curd that I just love and thought that perhaps I should share it here. You could interchange the lemon with other flavours, such as passion fruits or berries but I haven't tried myself. I do plan on trying it with passion fruit at some point.

With sweeteners, I am starting to dwindle down on the splenda use and for this I have used a half/half mix of xylitol and splenda tablets. One splenda tablet is the equivalent of 1 teaspoon of granula splenda but with a lot less carbohydrates. I guess, they would be similar to liquid splenda? I have actually started buying some things from the US again, it's amazing how much cheaper it is to buy something from there then it is from here, even the postage is cheaper then ours. I finally bought some erythritol to experiment with as well as an erythritol and stevia mix but I was too chicken to use it in this as I was worried about the erythritol crystalizing as well as how it would go taste in lemon curd. Next time, when I buy some stevia on its own I will try a mix of xylitol and stevia instead, but for now splenda will do. I actually quite like the taste of these two combined.

These measurements are metric but converting metric cups to the US equivalent is pretty easy. An American cup is 237ml whilst a metric cup is 250ml (8 fl oz) which leaves 13ml. A US tablespoon equals 15ml so simply add 1 tablespoon extra per cup. So, for this recipe with the lemon juice, just add an extra half a tablespoon - but really the difference in half a cup is so small I wouldn't worry too much. With the sweeteners, I wouldn't worry as I find it quite sweet anyway so a little less won't matter, the 16 splenda tablets is the equivalent to 1/3 a cup of granular splenda. The second time I made this, I used less sweetener again but because I used thin skinned lemons which are sweeter I still found it very sweet. The first time I used large thick skinned lemons. So a little trial and error I guess but every time I make it I just want to eat it off the spoon regardless, very yummy :)

Oh and this curd which is essentially a custard is made direct in the saucepan so make sure you have everything with you ready and be careful not to let it curdle. This is the recipe I used as my guide so have a read of the method first. At the first sign of a lump lift the saucepan straight off the heat and give it a good whisk before putting it back on the heat.


Low Carb Lemon Curd


Lemon rind from two lemons (mine were medium to large), finely grated
1/2 cup (4 fl oz) lemon juice
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 egg yolks lightly beaten
115g (4 oz) butter, melted
1/3 cup of xylitol
16 splenda tablets

Grind xylitol and splenda to a fine powder, I use one of those cheaper version of the magic bullets, works well. I chose to do this, because the xylitol is very grainy in texture and I want to make sure it dissolves properly.

Push the eggs and egg yolks through a sieve and place in a heavy based saucepan, add other ingredients and whisk.

Turn on stove to low or medium depending on how game you are and whisk continuously until starts to slightly thicken then stir continuously with a flat bottom wooden spoon making sure to scrape bottom of pan. If you see a slight lump forming take straight off heat and whisk until smooth then place back on heat. Continue until very thick and coats the back of the spoon. I switched from low to medium heat a few times and found this didn't take very long at all. Make sure to have a look at the pictures in the original link to get an idea on how thick it should look.

The author of the recipe suggests to strain the lemon curd through a strainer to ensure a smoother consistency but I found that mine was looking pretty smooth anyway, perhaps because I strained the eggs prior which was a tip I saw elsewhere when I was searching for a recipe to try.

Pour into a sterile jar and place a piece of baking paper (cut to fit shape) with a tab sticking out so you can grab it easy, cover and chill.

Note 1:

I found this very yummy and sweet, I will probably drop back a touch on the sweetener next time, perhaps 1/4 cup xylitol and say 10 splenda tablets and see how that goes.

I forgot to take any pictures when I made it, but the picture above is how it looked today when I was making my tarts (recipe to follow shortly).

Note 2:

I made this again with less sweetener as I said I would. It is still quite sweet. The only difference is the lemons, this time I had small thin skinned lemons, they are obviously sweeter then the bigger ones which makes sense. Still want to eat the stuff off the spoon

Some recipe ideas that you can use the lemon curd for:






Lemon Coconut Slice

Plus another one from one of our members that doesn't have a picture:

Chocholate tarts filled with lemon curd

Enjoy :)

11 comments:

Erika said...

Ohhhh that makes me drool

Thanks for posting this (and the pics!) :)

Sherrie said...

The curd is very moorish, give it a try :)

Erika said...

Will do!

Chrish Tiyan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nate-n-Annie said...

Good job on making the curd.

Have you tried agave syrup, or is that a no-no in low-carb cooking?

Sherrie said...

Hello :)

No I haven't tried agave as it has a very high fructose content that is much higher then high fructose corn syrup. Avoid!

Chrish Tiyan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicky said...

Sherrie, I don't read any low-carb forums at all at the moment, so you're definitely reaching some new audience by posting here!

This looks sooooooo good - and I have plenty of lemons, but no eggs! Mutter...

Sherrie said...

Hey Nicky :)

You have to give it a try its really good, if you like lemons I made a yummy lemon icecream with out an icecream maker and no eggs but you will need cream and a little sage :)

Nicky said...

Cream, I have - and some yummy pineapple sage that might not survive the UK winter, so I'm all ears :)

Chrish Tiyan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.