Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Low Carb Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

Hey there, I have been slack again, sorry :)

Thought I'd share this recipe for Jennifer and anyone else that would like it. It is very good, I have never been a big fan of baked cheesecakes and apart from the low carb pumpkin cheesecake I have always found them too dense and gluggy - alongside the difficulties with them cracking no matter how well you follow the recipe. Then I came across this one and the cooking method seemed to me, to be much more logical, that I decided to give it a try.

This is actually a recipe by Gordon Ramsay which I de-carbed, it is a really great recipe, a couple of people from the forum tried it and loved it, a couple of us served it at Christmas dinner. I have made it a few times now and still has not let me down yet. You can read the discussion on it here plus if you make it please let us know what you think: Low Carb Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake You will find a couple more pictures of how it turned out there as well.





Low Carb Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake



Base:

150g/5.3oz Almond meal (I didn't blanch mine this time)
50g/1.8oz Desiccated/finely shredded coconut
60g/2.1oz butter, melted
12 splenda tablets, crushed or 1/4 cup of granular splenda
dash of vanilla

Filling:

600g/21.2oz Cream Cheese
250g/8.8oz sour Cream
2 Eggs
25 splenda tablets, crushed or 1/2 cup splenda granular
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g/2.6oz Lindt 85% dark choc, melted



Butter a 23cm spring form pan and preheat oven to 170C/340F

Combine base ingredients and press into the base of the spring form pan and bake for 15 mins or until golden. Reduce oven temp to 140C/284F

Beat together all of the filling ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate and pour over the base. Tap gently to burst any large air bubbles and swirl the melted chocolate over the top.

Chuck in oven for 30mins and then turn the oven off and leave it alone for a long time, preferably overnight to cool. If you take it out to soon it may crack. When cooled, chill in the fridge.

That's it, how easy is that and it came out perfect!

Nutritional Information for 10 serves:

(only thing not included is the dash of vanilla in base)

Per Serve

Using splenda tablets:

518 calories, 10.9g protein, 50.5g fat, 5g carbs

Using splenda granular:

523 calories, 10.9g protein, 50.5g fat, 6.5g carbs

Now any other sweetener should be fine, I tend to use a lot less sweetener these days so always taste test the batter first in case you need a little more but I find if I keep the sweetness down I am not likely to crave it. You can also reduce the carbs and calories simply by cutting into smaller serves, what I do is just have a piece for my breaky, it keeps me satisfied until lunch at least!

Whilst we are talking cheesecake and chocolate, here is one I added today:

Low Carb Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies




Enjoy!

13 comments:

Dr. Davon Jacobson, MD said...

I have to be honest, but that look absolutely deliscious. I would love to make that soon. Please stop by and visit my health blog soon: http://healthy-nutrition-facts.blogspot.com/

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Sherrie. That looks like a lovely cheesecake. I will be making it sometime soon. I like cheesecakes with sour cream in them.

Hey, Sherrie, I removed the link to your forum from my forum links because it said the account is suspended. I was going to replace it with the correct link and now I realize the link was correct, but your forum is down. Let me know when it is up and running again.

Sherrie said...

Hello Jennifer it is up but I ran into issues after huge traffic from google, at one stage we had over 1500 concurrent users on the forum alone! I am moving to a new server so may be touch and go for a day or so whilst DNS propagates.

LC said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chrish Tiyan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chrish Tiyan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
loanmod pro said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Niki said...

WOW! The chocolate brownie looks delicious! It all does!!! I need to make that one! You always have such great recipes Sherrie! Hope all is well. I'll let yo know when I make it =D

Niki said...

I ned to try the chocolate swirl cheesecake too!!! =D

Sherrie said...

Hey Niki! :)

Definitely give the cheesecake a bash, it is my all time favourite. I did a lemon version too by swirling in low carb lemon curd instead of chocolate and it was yum :)

danyelle6974 said...

You are very talented! Thanks for your blog which I discovered today. I am liking the look of your low carb cheesecake (want to do the lemon curd version). I am in the UK. I have had trouble making low carb cheesecakes because of "cream cheese" differences so I wondered if you could help. I am wondering whether your "cream cheese" is that white fluffy stuff like Philadelphia brand (supermarkets do their own brands here so I use Tesco brand which is 3.8% carb or COOP brand which is a little more expensive but only 2.8% carb and a little more cheesey). This Philadelphia type comes in a 200g flatish rectangular plastic carton and is described as "full fat soft cheese". It is white white colour (not cream/yellow) so I was wondering if your cream cheese was the same because obviously if we can work out which cream cheese is the most similar to yours I will get similar results to you.
Variations of cream cheese in the UK include cheese triangles (shiny set hardish but spreadable and this is also available in rectangular cartons or used to be adn is popular in Europe) and then there is mascapone which is a different thing entirely LOL Hope you can help.

Sherrie said...

Hey Danyelle :)

I rarely use Philadelphia cheese these days, I either buy the no name brand cream cheese from the supermarket or buy a chunk of it (usually nuefchatel) from the market or deli as their both cheaper then the philly cheese here. From that recipe I am pretty sure I used the no name brand. This is similar to the philly cream block cheese. Its not fluffy when you buy it but firmish and you have to let it get to room temperature and beat it to soften it all up. The no name brand that I am using is 3.2g per 100g

Hope that helps :)