Tuesday, September 09, 2008

My Cholesterol Numbers

Thought I'd share my cholesterol numbers from my blood test last Friday. I should say that last year I went off LC to do an elimination diet for my daughter though my only fat source during that time was butter, eggs and meat, not even any fish or fish oil (amines). I have been back to Atkins style low carb for the last few months and I am still eating mostly lots of butter but I also add in some olive or macadamia oil with the occasional shot of cod liver oil. I started low carb (Atkins) in 2002 and started maintenance in 2003.

When I had my bloods checked in 2003 my triglycerides were 0.5 and my total cholesterol was 5.6, ratio was not checked.

This time my results are:

[mmol/L]

Total Triglycerides 0.4 (0.3-2.0)
Total Cholesterol 5.6 (<5.5)
HDL Cholesterol 2.0 (1.0-2.2)
LDL Cholesterol 3.3 (<3.7)
Total cholesterol/HDL ratio 2.8 (<5.0)


The numbers in brackets are the desired ranges.

13 comments:

Amy Dungan (aka Sparky's Girl) said...

Congrats on great results Sherrie!

Fat Free Me said...

I just had my levels checked too and am SO confused about yours b/c mine were given in different units...can you compare to what I got and give me your opinion?? Total= 149, HDL=47, LDL=87, and Tri=76. From what I've read, it looks like my HDL is too low! Help!

Sherrie said...

Thanks Amy :)

Hey Fat free me :)

I converted your numbers to mine and this was how they looked.

Your numbers:

Total 3.8
HDL 1.2
LDL 2.2
Trigs 0.9

When looking at the ranges that came with my tests yours looked fine. I believe fish oil, vitamin D and exercise are all good for raising HDL. Saturated fats raise HDL as well.

I converted mine to yours if you want to compare mine to your ranges.

My numbers:

Total 218
HDL 78
LDL 133
Trigs 36

Just remember to convert your cholesterol numbers to mmol/L you need to divide by 39 and for your triglycerides divide them by 89. To convert my numbers to yours it would be the ooposite (e.g. multiply by 39)

How long have you been on low carb for?

This is a good blog to check out Heart Scan blog hes still a little anti-saturated fats I think but very pro low carb.

Sherrie said...

Oh fat free me I should clarify that when I said yours look fine I am just referring to them in regards to falling within the ranges. As I am learning though my thyroid, ranges can mean diddly squat sometimes!

Jennifer said...

Looking good, Sherrie!

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi,
I think your blog is terrific, and I would like to feature you on Wellsphere (http://www.wellsphere.com). Would you drop me an email?
Good health!
Geoff
--
Geoffrey W. Rutledge, MD, PhD
http://medblog.wellsphere.com

Jennifer said...

Hey, Sherrie - time to post again! :-) I keep checking up on you.

Sherrie said...

Hey Jennifer :)

Sorry I have been in a funk since I went to the doctors that time.

I actually started up writing a post yesterday but whilst I was cooking dinner Maya must have shut my computer down! Serves me right for not saving it. I did not get much sleep last night so probably won't attempt it today.

Thanks for checking up on me

Cheers

Sherrie

Jennifer said...

Catch you later, Sherrie.

Hugs,
Jen

My Office said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Twisted Cinderella said...

Those are great results! (I am looking forward to your next post)

Chrish Tiyan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MyXZone said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.