Thursday, July 17, 2008

Low Carb, Cream Cheese Muffins


















Nance, asked in the comments section for the recipe so I thought I'd take a picture of one I made last night and share here. Now this may look very plain and basic but it is actually very yum. Don't be afraid to try it if you don't like baked cheesecakes, as I didn't like them either, until now so you never know you may love these too!

The recipe is from the Low Carb Friends Forum, make sure to check that thread for the many variations, it is long but worth the read. Also, you're more then welcome to pop into our thread I made as well: Low Carb Cream Cheese Muffins (Cheesecakes)


Anyway here's the metric version:


Low Carb, Cream Cheese Muffins

500g cream cheese
1/2 cup splenda
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla

Cinnamon for dusting

Preheat oven to 180C

Soften cream cheese, add eggs, splenda and vanilla and beat until smooth. Pour into a greased 12 muffin pan (I use silicon patty cases). Sprinkle with cinnamon and wack in oven for 20 minutes then leave to cool in oven.

These are the counts for the metric version which uses a little extra cream cheese.

Total 25.2g carbs 48.9g protein 177.4g fat 1982 calories
Per muffin 2.1g carbs 4.1g protein 14.8g fat 165.2 calories

Now I make them a little different but I stick with the main theme as I find these are very satisfying as they are despite being so basic.

What I do is I add an extra egg, a couple of dollops of pure cream and 1 tsp of vanilla instead of half. I also cook them at 170C as I find they cook too fast at 180C. I don't have a problem with these sinking in the centre, just cracking.

4 comments:

Vikki said...

Ok I have to say this looks absolutely delightful. And come tomorrow afternoon these will be going in my oven...Yummy
Thanks for sharing,
Hugs,
Vikki

Sherrie said...

Hey Vikki :)

These are great, they are the one thing that I can have everyday and not get sick of! I have 2 for breakfast almost every morning, I have found cooking them at a slightly lower temp and adding say 100mls of pure cream makes them perfect and I no longer get cracking.

Dukandoittoo said...

These look absolutely amazing! I have to try them!

Steve Wattleford said...

You can prevent them from cracking by letting them cool in the oven. The reason they crack is due to the extremity of the internal vs external temps.