Monday, December 31, 2007

Santa Claus, Santa Claus You Are Much too Fat....



Santa Claus, Santa Claus You Are Much too Fat

I heard a reindeer hoof, then Santa dressed in red,
came crashing thro’ the roof and landed on my bed.
I thought it was a dream, but quickly did I wake,
as soon as I heard Santa scream, “I want a piece of cake!”

CHORUS
Oh, Santa Claus, Santa Claus, you are much too fat;
I was sleeping peacefully but now my bed is flat. Oh!
Santa Claus, Santa Claus, how much do you weigh?
I’m glad I’m not a reindeer that has to pull your sleigh!

He got up off the floor and said, “How do you do?”
I said, “My back is sore, my head is black and blue.”
“So sorry!” he replied, and then he asked my name.
He offered me a ride, I said, “No, thank you just the same!”

CHORUS

I heard a “ho, ho, ho,” the sleigh was in the sky.
but it was moving slow and wasn’t very high.
It wobbled in the air, I hoped it wouldn’t fall;
Said Santa, chewing cookies, “Merry Christmas, one and all!”

CHORUS


I found this in a good blog post titled Cute or Horrifying?, Make sure you check out the rest of the post.

It seems this is the type of Christmas songs they teach in schools these days. I know its good to have a sense of humour and all that but for those on the receiving end it is pretty mortifying, ESPECIALLY when you're a kid. People always say that children are very resilient but frankly I don't buy that, I don't believe children are as tough as we give them credit for, they just appear tough because they don't know how to or feel they can't express themselves. E.g. show hands if you have or had some type of hang up that relates back to when you were kid?

Well that's just my unprofessional opinion :)

But not only do we feel it is fine to mock fat children in our schools, now our governments feel it is fine to mock them too, even to the extent of scrutinising children that may be simply tall and solid because their BMI says they are fat?

For example in America, Regina Wilshire had this to say about new recommendations to tackle childhood obesity:

"A new report, Expert Committee Recommednations Regarding the Prevention, Assessment, and Treatment of Child and Adolescent Overweight and Obesity: Summary Report, issued by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) this month, is designed to tackle the growing prevalence of childhood obesity in the United States.

Its recommendations should make any parent shudder - not only does the position of the AAP assume overweight and obesity in children is a problem of behavior, it assumes every child in the United States, with the exception of those classified as "underweight" by BMI, is in need of routine intervention and prevention to avoid overweight and obesity in adulthood.

I kid you not.

Every child in the United States, except those with a BMI classifed as "underweight," will now be subject to a risk assessment and prevention measures at every doctor visit. The implication within the document is clear - parents simply cannot be trusted to know how to raise normal healthy weight children over the long-term, even when their child is a normal weight, thus routine, repeated messages must be delivered at each and every opportunity."


Read the rest here: Growing Pains

It is starting to happen here in Australia too, with a four year health check being introduced next year, excerpt taken from Sydney Morning Herald:

"ALL four-year-old children will have their weight checked as part of a Federal Government strategy to make tackling chronic levels of overweight and obesity a national priority.

The Minister for Health, Nicola Roxon, told a Sydney conference yesterday that from next year there would be a $45 Medicare rebate for GPs and community clinics to conduct the Healthy Kids Checks.

By 2009 all four-year-old children - about 255,000 each year - will have their body mass index (a measure of a person's weight scaled according to their height) measured when they are immunised.

The idea was first raised as a pre-election commitment by Labor in April last year and was designed to give professional advice to parents on how to look after their children's weight, Ms Roxon said.

"The Healthy Kids Check will help ensure all our four-year-olds are healthy, fit and ready to learn when they start primary school," she said yesterday."


Oh Great!

I am sure this great nutritional advice will get them ready to learn... just like their great nutritional advice helps diabetics manage their diabetes [sarcasm]

This has me concerned for my daughter, as she was a big baby being above the top percentiles for both age/height and age/weight on the old formula growth charts despite being fully breastfed. I would imagine they would have a field day with her!

Of course if you look at the photos I put up in my post just under this you can see at just over 2 years and 8 months, she looks very healthy. When I checked recently, on those same old growth charts she was still over the top percentile for height but under the top percentile for weight, in fact I think she went for a year or close with out gaining weight as she went through a huge growth spurt.

I don't immunise Maya anymore so hopefully she will slip through.

6 comments:

Cat said...

Theres too much put onto kids these days. Making them aware of BMI's and obsessive weighing as children will only lead to a lot more problems later on and will scar a lot of them mentally.

How about we just make sure they all have fun and that they get exercise while they play e.g chasing in the park or other wonderful fun things that kiddies do.

Your daughter looks very healthy and happy :)

Sherrie said...

Thanks Cat :)

I agree with you entirely, making them conscious about their weight is just plain stupid in my opinion.

Avenue Girl said...

Parents think it's up to the schools to get their kids active, but I believe it is the responsibility of the parents. These kids have no idea what to eat these days. The parents fill them with junk, and they are over weight too.

Sherrie said...

Actually there is a bit I meant to include in that blog post that I must have forgot regarding children and Activity.

When I was a kid we had PE (physical Education) all year, right through high school (you guys might call it college?). Plus we would also have a few sports days scattered through the year, athletics, walkathons etc

Now it seems, at least in year 8 at my sons school, PE only goes for half a year and there was one sports day and thats it. There was a swimming carnival but not everyone was involved as you needed to compete where as through primary school it wasn't just swimming races but all sorts of pool games and everyone was included.

Same as Home Economics, they only do 1 term of cooking and one term of sewing (there's 4 terms in a year). When I was a kid we had two terms of each!

Plus there were always opportunities to join school sports teams but now I don't hear of any, either that or my son isn't bringing the information home.

Another thing is I remember in year 7 we all did training and received our first aid certificates where as they don't do that now...

GoodMom said...

Parent's today treat their children as if they are these fagile beings made of glass. I think the Santa Claus song is a cute song and I learned it in 5th grade and taught it to my 8 year old son this christmas. Everyone is so worried about hurting someones feelings - Blah--- kids are kids let the be kids instead of these whiney little windbags. If you are so worried about child obesity get off of your own fat behinds and take you kids out to play. Don't complain about the school not providing exersize for YOUR children. They are their to teach them. It's you job as a parent to guide them and teach them about right and wrong choices including what foods they put in their tummy. I see overweight adults along with thier overweight children eating crap food and then wondering why they are fat. Hello?? My husband has struggled with his weight all his life and he exersizes EVERY DAY to make sure he is shape and at a healthy weight. Only will power will work.

Sherrie said...

Goodmom that's a pretty big assumption that you're making there, one that my arse is big (which it is not) and two that I don't encourage my kids to exercise or even that they're overweight which again they are not.

School is most certainly about teaching and what do you think sports and home ec are?

On top of that a lot of families have both parents working, I don't know what it is like in the US but here is Australia this is encouraged greatly, this doesn't help in regards to taking kids "out to play" each day for those families and they have to rely on schools and childcare centers to fill those needs during the week.

To top that off most parents don't know about nutrition and are often mislead by our governments low fat mantra and stamps on crappy cereal boxes saying it is endorsed by the heart foundation and so on.

Granted there's families that just eat like crap for various reasons but not every "fat" child should be tarred under the same brush. Some parents do everything seemingly right and still their kids end up obese. Even still if a child is being taught to eat crap by their family they hardly deserve to be ridiculed when they don't know any better.

You say school is for teaching, well how about teaching children how to maintain a healthy lifestyle and setting an example!

How about offering a varied amounts of sports all year round enabling children to find an activity that they enjoy and feel confident with and may lead to taking on as an after school activity!