Friday, August 17, 2007

My Reply to Deni

Okay first up sorry I haven't put up part 2 yet of The low fat side of the Kimkins Diet but I have been busy and the yesterday got caught up in chatting which I think is stemming from me not being focused . I don't know if its like this with everyone or I'm just a wierdo LOL but I'm either totally focused/in the mood or I'm not. Yesterday I was not, I will try to be today and finish it off, I promise :)

Anyway, I just wanted to post a reply of mine to a comment made to me by Deni on her blog. She is a moderator for the Kimkins forum and unfortunately when I try to reply, I get an error saying that only "team members" are allowed which I found disappointing, as I have not been rude or anonymous.

Anyway, this is for Deni, so you don't have to read on but I don't care if you do. It appears, one of the anti-kimkins sites picked up on her blog post, so you have probably read about her post that I am referring to in my reply to her.

-----------

Deni, everything I said was in line with the focus of your post. First off, I pointed out that there are plenty of limits in fats and proteins. But more importantly, one of your points was that it was the people on the plan who were at fault for any bad eating?

That I find totally wrong and I do not think that way of thinking is what ANY lord would want to encourage.

Let me explain...

The reason why I bought up Christin and Kimmer is because like yourself, they set a huge example to the followers of the plan. People are encouraged to emulate the weight loss journey of success stories like yours and Christin. People look up to you, they have total faith and trust in the things you say. People are doing what they are doing UNDER your influences.

The majority of people on your forum are put onto a path of doing a VLCD. VLCD's whilst well known to curb hunger, also come with a lot of risks and thus should only ever be instructed and supervised by professionals experienced in their application.

I should add just in case you don't realise a VLCD is anywhere (depending on the study) from ≤ 800 to 1000 calories per day.

Just because someone doesn't feel hungry doesn't mean that they are totally out of harms way.

The worst bit is people aren't made aware of the inherent risks nor is their any true science behind the diet, you can't just pop a multi vitamin and hope that covers everything. The attitude in regards to dietary fat is also not true, particularly in the context of a low carbohydrate diet. Sure you have body fat, but body fat provides calories only, it does not provide any other nutrition. But on top of that rapid weight loss alone comes with its own set of risks to health.

There is also a huge risk in gall bladder health from VLCD, skipping meals and rapid weight loss alone let alone together, infact I have seen in studies risks go up to 54% and stones occur in as early as 4 weeks during VLCD diets. Plus obesity, diabetes etc are all risk factors on their own as well.

Also this abstinence with beef/red meat/dairy that most people seem to follow is also potentially risky in regards to important fatty acids, proteins and minerals. Minerals that are also important for weight loss, hormonal and mental health.

You know there are people that seemed perfectly fine suddenly die from doing VLCD diets with inadequate nutrition.

I could go on...

Your plans that you guys promote have no true scientific or nutritional background, just a set of vague and misleading rules. There are no minimums to ensure adequate nutrition other then a multi-vitamin which IS NOT satisfactory. There are no real warnings of the risks either. But not only that there is the mistaken belief that simply by not feeling hungry whilst eating little reassures you that your eating enough and if you feel sick to your stomach (SNATT) then that means the diet is working.

In fact, it is all pretty much left up to the interpretation of the dieter and with all the anti-fat guidelines, promoting of rapid weight loss and ignorance there is no question where that interpretation will most likely lead.

A prime example of this is through your very own Christin whom was mentioned on the kimkins exposed blog. Here are some examples allegedly in Christin's own words that I found on this blog all the whilst her average calorie intakes over six months fell below 700 calories a day (See what I mean about Kimmers Experiment still being low calorie despite not having an "official" limit in calories!):

There is nothing “magical” or unique about what I was able to accomplish. It is not an easy journey though, and I wanted to give you a few things that have helped me a long the way and hopefully answer some of your questions as well….Under the guidelines given by Kimmer this program consists of lean proteins, no extras. So, during the time I was using KE I did just that. No EXTRAS no cheese, no extra fats, no supplements. I found that the best and quickest loss for me was attained when I stayed within the list…


Fat – The point of this program is QUICK and HEALTHY weight loss. One of the things that sets Kimkins apart from other Low Carb programs is the fact that we chose to use the leanest proteins that are available to us. We will still be consuming some fat with our proteins, but the goal is as little as possible. This can also be attained by choosing even lower fat options of allowed proteins. For example: boneless/skinless chicken breast vs whole chicken on the bone; egg whites or egg beaters vs whole eggs, lean fresh ground turkey breast vs pre-ground turkey, and of course fresh fish is always a fantastic option. These are just some options that are available to you in choosing lean proteins. If you want a number to shoot for though, my guideline for myself was under 20g of fat per day, never over 30g.


That is what your members are seeing Deni, and that IS NOT HEALTHY. I don't care what her blood test results were, that doesn't speak for everyone or make such advice good and responsible advice which it is not.

You know those improvements in cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugars can be found on the numerous low carb diets that are out there absolutely jam packed with fats, you do not have to starve your body and risk it's health to achieve that. In fact if I can find it again I will post a study sometime that I read a while back that showed some negative effects on HDL/LDL and trigs through a VLCD diet.

You can turn around and say well shes just sharing her experience, we're not telling anyone to do it or we said you should check this with your doctor, all that is, is a legal formality, morally it does not excuse it.

Before I decided to take a stance on this I contacted many researchers that were not only doctors but experienced in researching low carbohydrate diets and treating obesity for advice. Not one could support it Deni.

Its great to share experiences and support people Deni, but at the same token we have to take responsibility for what we say, support and encourage when we put ourselves in a position where people look up to us. Even if say the advice your giving is really good, by turning a blind eye to other potentially dangerous advice you are still supporting it. By linking to the website, by telling people to join, by being an affiliate, by having your success story up there, YOU ARE STILL SUPPORTING ALL THAT GOES ON THERE.

What experience do you have in VLCD dieting, nutrition and obesity for you to know for sure that yours and others advice and the kimkins plans full stop are nutritionally sound?

You can't just expect to place all blame onto the members joining, that is simply just not fair.

I don't think ANY lord would want that.

This all said, I don't think you mean any ill will but at the same token morally you still have to be accountable just like Christin, Kimmer and anyone else. After all, these peoples health, trust and possibly even their lives are in your hands.


 



Some Kimkins articles by me:

Nov 16: Kimkins Diet Scam
Sept 22: The Low Fat side of the Kimkins Diet: Rabbit Starvation, Sudden Death and Resting Metabolism.
Sept 11: The Low Fat side of the Kimkins Diet: Gallstones.
Aug 17: My reply to Deni
Aug 13: The low fat side of the Kimkins Diet, Part 1
July 18: Is Kimkins okay simply because it is low carb?
July 15: Kimkins and Kimmer
June 13: Okay Some Kimkins Stuff...

4 comments:

Breadless MrsB said...

I tagged you in a game of Blog-Tag!! (I swear I didn't start it - don't blame me!! Hehe).

Diet Pepsi Girl said...

er, I also tagged you! www.burningthescale.com/blog-tag-8-fun-facts-about-me/

Sherrie said...

LOL hello you two :)

This is probably the 5th or 6th tag I've got now for this same one. I have been busy but when I get a chance I will try but OMG I have no idea who I could possibly tag LOL considering every blog I visit has been tagged already!!!

Mimi said...

Heads Up!

Even as we speak (Thursday evening 06 September 2007) Heidi is frantically posting deranged praises to herself over at the national Better Business Bureau Kimkins.com Reviews page:

http://tinyurl.com/ywwdbl

Please, everyone who hasn't already done so, please hop on over there and let your voice be heard.

Do it for your fellow desperate dieters -- past, present, and future.