Friday, March 16, 2007

Fast-food chains in Australia to curb trans fat

I just got around to reading this article, at first I thought okay thats a start, then as I kept reading I became very annoyed. Heres a snippet of what our Assistant Health Minister Christopher Pyne and the Heart Foundation communications manager Monique Blunden had to say:

Mr Pyne said Australians consumed 0.6 per cent of their daily kilojoules as trans fats.

"While we are doing well, I would still like to get that level down further and the reliance on saturated fats down also," he said.

"It is important when we reduce trans fats in our food supply that we do it in the context of a balanced diet.

"We don't wish to decrease trans fats by returning to the use of saturated fats such as palm oil, tallow and lard."

Heart Foundation communications manager Monique Blunden said dealing with the use of trans fats was important because of the amount of people who ate fast-food every day.

"While we are certainly thrilled with the initiative Christopher Pyne has taken, we want to make sure that saturated fats are lowered as well," she said.

"There are healthy alternative oils out there, I would encourage the industry to seek them out."


Fast-food chains to curb trans fat

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm not a fast food diner, so I really don't care what they use. As long as it's voluntary. Here in the states NY is trans-fat free (or will be) in restaraunts. That's a different topic.

_______
"We don't wish to decrease trans fats by returning to the use of saturated fats such as palm oil, tallow and lard."

__________
This is EXACTLY what I did, and saw my HDL almost triple. Coconut oil, butter and even bacon fat are the norms in my house. I just bought a duck, and I'm going to save the fat and try cooking with it.

Whether it's fast food or convenience food, they're bad for you. If they don't have trans-fats, they have HFCS, or they have all kinds of chemicals....or they have all 3!!

Sherrie said...

Whilst I see the point in consumers having choice etc I have one issue when it comes to things like trans fats. The issue is children, children don't really have a choice... I think it is good to help reduce their exposure.

Ofcourse it doesn't end there, theres alot more crap in their food that I would like to see reduced, for example preservatives like 282, HFCS and soy.