Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Some of my old low carb menus

Through my low carb website I am often getting emails from people asking about my old menus from when I lost my weight and menu ideas with calorie and PFC information. Usually I email out old examples of mine from 2002 in fitday, rinse and repeat but this time I thought I would share some here too.

Even for those that aren't counting it will give you an idea on what 1500 calories on low carb looks like.

Keep in mind in the beginning of my real strict calories counting days I was still a bit fat phobic and I kept saturated fat low and used a little milk, light cream, lean meat and replaced with flax oil. Not something I worry about now, nor is counting calories, but having a fair idea on exactly how much your eating not only helps with eating too much but also helps with eating too little which is easy to do when in ketosis.

*The low carb cereal you will see in most of these was a mixture of flax, coconut, WPC and psylium husks. This one was good in that it was perfect for Atkins induction, you can't buy one with just these ingredients in Australia anymore. But, from what I have learn't since then, I don't think it would be a great idea to buy already ground flax seeds due to how easily flax oil goes rancid. If I was to have this cereal now I would make my own each day with freshly grounded flax seeds. I avoid flax now due to the plants hormones in it.

*By memory back then my cheesecake usually consisted of 500 to 750g of cream cheese, 1 cup of light cream, splenda, vanilla, sachet of diet jelly and a base using the cereal mix. I would set it in the fridge and divide into 7 pieces. You'll find I often had it for lunch, I would always find cheesecake very satisfying, much more then other meals. Here's the link to a thread with some of our old low carb cheesecake recipes

1500 Calorie Menus

You'll find some menus may be around 1300-1400 calories, I always aimed for 1500 calories at the time so it most likely means I forgot to go back to it and add something like say a serve of cream, butter used during cooking etc. At the time I would've known what was missing but that was 4 years ago now so I don't remember.


Menu 1

  • Breakfast:1/3 cup of low carb cereal, 15ml flax oil, 50ml milk, 1 tsp splenda
  • Lunch: piece of cheesecake
  • Dinner: Chicken and Mushroom Paprika served with 150g broccoli and 100g brussel sprouts
  • Snacks: 1 protein shake with 15ml flax oil, 2 decaff with 20ml milk and splenda.
Totals: 1483 calories 122 gram protein 98 gram fat 27 gram carbohydrates


Menu 2

  • Breakfast: slice of cheesecake
  • Lunch: taco mince (using 100g mince) with salad and 1/2 cup cheese
  • Dinner: scrambled eggs (3 or 4 large eggs) with bacon (2 rashers, fat trimmed), mushroom and tomato
  • Snacks: 1 decaff
Totals: 1320 calories 88 gram protein 97 gram fat 20 gram carbohydrates


Menu 3

  • Breakfast: 1/3 cup of low carb cereal, 15ml flax oil, 50ml milk, 1 tsp splenda
  • Lunch: piece of cheesecake
  • Dinner: Taco mince (using 200g mince) with salad and 1/2 cup cheese
  • Snacks: 2 decaff with 20ml milk and splenda
Totals: 1423 calories 100 gram protein 106 gram fat 18 gram carbohydrates


Menu 4


  • Breakfast: 1/3 cup of low carb cereal, 15ml flax oil, 50ml milk, 1 tsp splenda
  • Lunch: piece of cheesecake with cream
  • Dinner: 2 jumbo eggs scrambled with 1/2 cup cheese, bacon and spinach
  • Snacks: 2 decaff with cream and splenda, protein shake with 15ml flax
Totals: 1513 calories 99 gram protein 115 gram fat 21 gram carbohydrates


Menu 5

  • Breakfast: 1/3 cup of low carb cereal, 15ml flax oil, milk, 1 tsp splenda
  • Lunch: piece of cheesecake with cream
  • Dinner: Lamb casserole using cabbage, green beans, leftover roast lamb, mushies and tomato served with cauli mash and brocolli
  • Snacks: 1 decaff with cream and splenda, protein shake with 15ml flax, cream and strawberries
Totals: 1480 calories 104 gram protein 105 gram fat 26 gram carbohydrates


Menu 6

  • Breakfast: 1/3 cup of low carb cereal, 15ml flax oil, milk, 1 tsp splenda
  • Lunch: protein shake with 15ml flax and scoop of LC ice cream
  • Dinner: 3 lamb loin chops, butter, 1 cup cabbage, 1/2 cup green beans and 100g brocolli
  • Snacks: 2 decaff with cream and splenda
Totals: 1461 calories 80 gram protein 122 gram fat 15 gram carbohydrates


Menu 7


  • Breakfast: 1/3 cup of low carb cereal, 15ml flax oil, milk, 1 tsp splenda
  • Lunch: piece of cheesecake
  • Dinner: 200 chicken breast, butter, 50g broccoli, 150g mixed cottage veg, 200g brussel sprouts
  • Snacks: 2 decaff with cream and splenda, 2 muffins using mix like cereal, cream cheese, half and half and flavouring, protein shake with scoop of LC ice cream
Must have been that time of the month LOL


Totals: 1649 calories 130 gram protein 107 gram fat 37 gram carbohydrates

*edit, 21st september* clarified a little on the cereal I used to eat and edited out the word 'large' when describing a slice of cheesecake so as to avoid confusion (large slice = 1 seventh of a cheesecake I used to make).

2 comments:

Lowcarb_dave said...

You Can't Lose weight whilst eating cheese cake!!! can you????

What's the cheesecake recipe?

Did you always restrict calories?

Dave

Sherrie said...

Hey Dave I managed to get to 55kg eating cheesecake!

The cheesecake for me was what kept me from cheating and even got me through that time of the month. Not only that for some reason it satisfies me more then anything. But by this point I was past any urges to binge.

Dave I counted calories for probably the last 5 kgs or so when it wouldn't budge. I did the anti-candida diet too around this time as well but in the end I just had to trick those last few kgs off.

Towards the end when I couldn't lose that final kg I even shaved off 300 calories a day and still no change yet when I gave up and added a little more carbs to my diet bang it was gone. I think it was just the 'change' that did it.